Honoring Cycle Ambassador Bill Keith
Friends and relatives will honor Bill Keith (who passed away in January) on Saturday, March 9th in New Smyrna Beach. Bill and his wife Pam were co-managers of Orange Cycle in the1980s and 1990s, and started one of Central Florida’s first triathalon teams. Bill’s favorite charity, World Cycle Relief, has received more than $30,000 in donations from all over the world in his memory. For more information about Bill, and the March 9th celebration, click here.
I am Traffic
The I Am Traffic colloquium was held Feb. 23 and 24 in Orlando. Pictured here are members of the founding governing board. From left to right: Lisa Walker, Dan Gutierrez, Waco Moore, Jenn Bowers and Mighk Wilson. Check out other photos on the I Am Traffic Facebook page.
Cycling Savvy Spring Classes
Cycling Savvy has posted its spring class schedule. Don’t miss this opportunity to learn how to maneuver through traffic safely and without stress. Click here for class schedules and to register.
What Carrier Is For You?
What kind of bike carrier is best for you? Consumer Reports has a comprehensive article that will help you determine what will work best for you. What kind of car do you have? What kind of bike? How many bikes do you need to carry? How far do you need to travel? How often will you use the carrier? All these are important when deciding what carrier to purchase.
Braking isn’t just a matter of pushing your feet “backwards” as in the old days of the one-speed banana seat bike. Here are some good tips for beginning cyclists.
Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk! The Ingo bike might be just the new thrill you are looking for. To see it in action, click here and follow the link to the film clip from the 1939 movie, “Yes We Have No Bonanza”, starring the Three Stooges. And in case you really are interested, there is one for sale on e-bay..for a mere $2,200.00!
March 1, 2013
See details below, under Recurring Rides.
March 17, 2013
To benefit the American Diabetes Association. Click here for details.
March 23-29, 2013
Click here to register.
April 20-21, 2013 - Bike MS Citrus Tour
Click here to register.
Bicycle Parking Map
From our friends at Commute Orlando:
Peter Martinez has created a collaborative Bike Parking map, designed to help Bicyclists plan their routes and park their bikes on secure racks, rather than a stop sign or a tree. Read more . . .
Best Foot Forward is a community-wide coalition formed to reduce pedestrian deaths and injuries in Metro Orlando.The five-year initiative is currently focused on Orange County and will expand into Seminole and Osceola counties as resources permit. Five cities, two towns, and Orange County have passed resolutions supporting the initiative. Orlando Police Department, Orange County Sheriff’s Office, Florida Highway Patrol, police agencies in Winter Park, Maitland and Eatonville, and police chiefs from throughout Orange County, have pledged their support to the initiative, launched by Bike/Walk Central Florida and the Florida Bicycle Association, with financial support from the Winter Park Health Foundation, MetroPlan Orlando, Orange County, City of Orlando, Florida Department of Transportation, Orlando Police Department, Orange Cycle, David’s World Cycle, and Track Shack.
When was the last time you saved a life? Your contributions of $5, $10, $20, $50, $100, or more, can make a big difference. Checks should be made out to the Florida Bicycle Association, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, and mailed to: Betsy Holl at: P.O. Box 916715, Longwood, FL 32791-6715. Please specify that you are donating to Best Foot Forward.
Community Calendar Link
- First Fridays: Take it to the Streets: bike ride to promote civility: 6 p.m. on the First Friday of each month (Upcoming Dates: March 1, 2013 and April 5, 2013).
- UCF Bike Bus: Downtown Orlando to UCF, then UCF to Downtown Orlando. Follow bike bus in real time via GPS at http://commuteorlando.com/bikebus/
- Ride With Steve: Beginner ride. Meet at Winter Garden Wheel Works in Downtown Winter Garden, 8 a.m., Saturdays. – Sponsored by Winter Garden Wheel Works .
- Sunday Ride in the Hills: Ride 30-plus miles through the hills of Clermont and Minneola, Sundays mornings at 7am, beginning at David’s World Cycle in Winter Garden. Call Ross at 407-654-7071 to confirm.
- Unless specifically designated as a trail ride, our rides take place on public streets. Headlights and red rear flashers are required for night rides. Helmets are encouraged, and are required by law for children under 16.
- We observe all traffic laws and traffic signals.
- Our rides are typically 10 to 15 miles, roundtrip, and average 10 miles an hour, a comfortable pace for most adults and teens. May be too fast for younger children and adults with health issues.
- These rides are social in nature.
For longer, more challenging group rides, subscribe to Hal Downing’s group ride newsletter by emailing email@example.com
If you have a social ride you would like us to help promote, please email me at the address below.
Bike/Walk Central Florida Would like to thank our sponsors: